2005 Sabre 38' (11.58 m) 386 Custom
Buffalo, New York, United States
This is a very special one of a kind, custom 386 with many performance features. Well maintained, sails beautifully, stiff and fast.
- Fiberglass Hull
Custom built one of a kind Sabre 386 with taller carbon mast, deep keel, larger rudder, saildrive, oversized wheel, tacktick instruments, GPS, Below deck autopilot, flat screen TV. Setup to race or cruise, many sails, running rigging, and deck hardware.
This is a special, custom built Sabre 386, there is no other sister ship like this one. Originally built for a Sabre dealer’s personal use, this model was modified to custom specification and has many upgrades. The current owner has taken great care of the vessel and added a number of new sails to increase performance while racing and cruising. It has been in fresh water since 2010 in a climate that allows only 5-6 months of use per season. This particular model is designed for someone who appreciates the classic Sabre high-end quality inside and out, but still wants a boat that sails extremely well.
Special custom construction features
• No trim ballast in the hull (saves 350 pounds)
• No skeg (mold was blanked off during lay-up)
• Headliner was tabbed and epoxied instead of puttied in place
• Traveler mounting pods were blanked off in the deck mold
• Traveler is mounted in the cockpit with two extra sheet winches
• Rig package is all custom made by Hall Spars & Rigging
• Mast is carbon fiber with white awlgrip above deck level
• Mast is 18” taller than standard
• Standing rigging is SS rod instead of wire
• Hall hi-tech running rigging
• Harken Furler is closer to deck than normal
• Saildrive engine instead of shaft and strut drive
• Pop-up mooring cleats fore and aft
• Deep keel weighs less, much better performance
• Reportedly floats 1.5 inches higher than standard 386
• Yanmar 40HP diesel with custom saildrive installation increases speed under sail, reduces vibration and noise, no stuffing box to leak, no shaft alignment issues. Better reverse. Folding geared prop.
• Cabintop handrails are stainless steel.
• Minimal exterior teak for a Sabre: Just toerails, hatch boards and drink holder at the wheel. All are varnished and in good condition.
• Oversize Custom steering wheel, Edson airfoil spoke Aluminum Diamond series, white Awlgrip finish with leather cover.
• Carbon Mast has three forward halyards, all of which can be used for headsails, two can be used for spinnaker.
• Symmetrical spinnaker gear with Harken track and adjusting tackle on mast.
• Mainsheet is easily reached from both helm and crew cockpits. Sheet is double-ended so it can be adjusted from either side. Two self-tailing two-speed winches allow for trimming with less effort. Two-part mainsheet allows for quicker ease or trim. Port & Starboard traveler adjusting tackles can be reached from helm. Harken Big-Boat high beam traveler mounted so it does not interfere with seat locker lids.
o 2 #50 2-speed AST Primary sheet winches (jib/spin)
o 2 #40 2-speed AST Mainsheet winches
o 2 #44 2-speed AST cabintop winches for halyards, control lines
• Harken roller furling headstay
• Hall Rod QuickVang with tackle led to cockpit
• Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster
• Harken full-length adjustable genoa cars with tackles
Ullman #2 140% Genoa, 2010
Ullman Light #1 Carbon Genoa, 2011, lightly used
Ullman .6 oz. Spinnaker 2012, solid red, lightly used
Ullman AP #1 Carbon Genoa, 2012
Haarstick #3 Jib, 2013, lightly used
Doyle Pentex 155% #1 racing genoa, 2005
Doyle 120% #2 cruising genoa with UV shield, 2005
Doyle Pentex 100% #3 Jib, 2005
Doyle .75 oz. spinnaker (grey and blue), 2005
Quantum Fusion Mainsail, 2009
Lazy Jack System
Navigation, Electronics & Electrical
Raymarine Tacktick Wireless Instruments for speed, depth, wind
3 Tacktick Displays on Mast bracket
1 Tacktick Display at nav station
Ritchie SP5 Compass
ICOM M502 HVF at Nav Station
ICOM RAM at helm
Masthead TV Antenna
Furuno GPS/WAAS GP32 at nav station
Clarion CD M335 Stereo
Clarion DVD Player VS735
Wema fuel & water tank monitor
XINTEX Fume detector
Xantrex Pathfinder Battery Monitor
Prosine 2.0 2000 Watt Inverter/Charger
Promariner Prosafe 1 Polarity, Ground and Galvanic Monitor
PC Connections at nav station
12 Volt outlet at nav station
Raymarine Below-Deck autopilot, control by helm to starboard
110Volt shore power with cord
Skyworth Flat Screen TV in salon on bracket mount
Electric Bilge Pump
High Water Bilge Alarm
Tank Watch 4 Holding Tank Level Monitor
Master Engine Battery Switch
Master House Battery Switch
Master Inverter Battery Switch
Closed cell Divinycell PVC foam cored, hand-laminated fiberglass of alternate layers of mat knitted biaxial roving.
ISO NPG gelcoat.
Below waterline, Sabre technology is utilized, consisting of chopped strand glass and vinylester resin as a back-up for ISO NPG gelcoat.
Internal deck to hull joint.
Molded in double boot and single cove stripes.
Bulkheads, berth faces, shelves and floor stringers laminated to hull providing integral, structural strength.
Single unit, Resin infused with Airex core for stiffness, and High density PVC core in high stress areas.
The deck is fastened to the hull using stainless steel thru bolts.
3M 5200 Polyurethane sealant in the deck to hull joint.
Propane storage locker in starboard side deck
Ventilation and Light
5 Lewmar polished Ocean Series deck hatches
2 stainless steel dorade vents.
4 main cabin fixed port lights
Custom stainless steel opening ports with screens in salon, aft cabin, fwd cabin, and head.
Acrylic sliding companionway hatch with fiberglass spray hood solid teak hatch boards and screened hatch boards
Custom stainless steel fore, mid-rail and aft corner chocks.
Stainless steel cowl vents (2)
Self-draining foredeck divided (spilt) anchor locker with drain and pad eye for anchor rode.
Pulpit, stern rail and stanchions are custom fabricated of type 316 stainless steel and thru-bolted with backing plates.
Double lifelines stainless steel cable with port and starboard boarding gates with braced stanchions.
All lifeline terminals and turnbuckles are swaged stainless steel.
Solid teak toerails
Stainless steel companionway hand rail and cabin top hand rails
Ritchie SP5 compass mounted in binnacle
Emergency tiller stored in cockpit locker
Balanced rudder is molded fiberglass bonded to a carbon fiber rudder post passing through a removable UHMW bearing and support tube securely laminated to the hull
Two deep lazarette storage lockers
Sail locker to starboard
Recessed winch handle pockets
Coamings angled for comfort
Cup holder on pedestal
Two cockpit scuppers to Marelon sea valves
Telescoping transom boarding ladder
Varnished Teak Interior
Head with shower stall, electric W/C
Galley Countertop in Corian
Double SS sinks with Corian fillers
12 Volt refrigeration
Icebox both top opening and front loading
3 Burner propane stove with oven, cutting board top
Built-In Microwave Oven
All Overhead hatches have roller Skyscreens
Teak Framed Screens for Companionway
Galley has fold-up Corian extension counter
Built-in wastebasket with Corian cover
Double Drop-Leaf bulkhead dining table
Sit-down chart table with removable backrest
Forward cabin has sink and vanity
Opening ports are heavy-duty SS with screens
Island berth forward
Berths are extra-thick, at least 6”
Numerous lockers, drawers, cupboards, racks, etc.
Extra lockers in the V-berth
Sport White Hull
2 Tone Sport White Deck with Grey Nonskid
Double molded in boot stripes, red and blue
Blue Corian counters in galley, head and forward cabin vanity
Blue Ultrasuede upholstery in salon
Oatmeal colored fabric in fore and aft staterooms
Black anti-fouling bottom paint
White mast & boom
White Mainsail Cover with red & blue stripes
Dark Blue Dodger with SS grab rail on aft side
White Cockpit Cushions
Custom Steel Cradle
Aluminum Spinnaker Pole
Docklines and Fenders
Custom Winter Cover
LOA: 38' (11.58 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Photos click to view all
RCR Youngstown Office is our corporate headquarters where all of our business operations flow through. This is the site of our original store dating back to 1972, with an indoor heated showroom and offices above. It is our home office where our management and administrative staff work. Tim Finkle is the broker at this location.
Tim Finkle CPYB
Sales & Marketing Manager
Tim joined RCR Yachts in February 2014. He grew up in Youngstown, learning to sail in the Youngstown YC Jr. Sailing program. After leaving the area to attend Connecticut College and then work in New York City for 8 years, he decided to move home and follow his passion for boating. He actively races his J/70 “Junior” all over the country and locally as a member of the Youngstown Yacht Club, where he is on the board of directors. He is the co-chair of the CanAm Challenge that hosts a one-design regatta each July at YYC. Tim is also on the board for Sail America. He works out of the Youngstown and Buffalo offices and lives in Lewiston with his wife Aly and kids Cole & Louise.