Responding to a growing need amongst sailors for a more comfortable, simpler and easy-to-own daysailer, J/Boats is excited to announce a sleek new 28 footer (the “J/9”) with perhaps the most comfortable cockpit and easiest-to-manage sailplan in this size range.
“With the J/9, we set out to reimagine how to make sailing easier, more relaxing and more inclusive,” said Jeff Johnstone of J/Boats. “This is a boat you can sail by yourself in just a few minutes, or bring along the whole gang with plenty of room to spare. Escaping to the water and enjoying shared family adventure has never been more important, and the J/9 is the perfect platform.”
The J/9 cockpit has four great corner seats to nestle into and enjoy the day. With friends and family aboard, everyone can find the perfect place to relax. And access aboard has never been easier. A swim platform behind the cockpit allows walk-through boarding, and on those downwind sails home, you can cool off by dragging your feet in the water.
Sailing the J/9 is as easy as hoisting the mainsail and trimming the sheet. Why make it any more complicated? Look around on the water and you’ll notice 80% of the sailboats are sailing with only one sail. The answer is keep it simple! One tiller, one sheet. The big difference with the J/9 is you will be sailing with one sail more comfortably and quicker than most others with two sails or under motor. Ready for the afterburners? Simply unroll the jib and enjoy effortless, stable & smooth sailing from the comforts of the best J/Boats cockpit ever.
The daysailing community has not benefitted from a dedicated design from J/Boats since the award-winning J/100 (33’), which remains one of the most sought-after J’s created. The NEW J/9 offers the cockpit comfort and sailing features of a larger boat, at a price most will find competitive to the best brokerage offerings.
• Hull and deck molded with biaxial and unidirectional E-glass fabrics and Corecell foam for optimal strength to weight
ratio. High density core inserts used in way of highly loaded hardware.
• White gelcoat hull with single boot stripe.
• 10 year transferable warranty against osmotic hull blistering, 5 year structural warranty.
• White gelcoat deck with molded non-skid on horizontal deck surfaces.
• High strength, inward turning and overlapping hull to deck joint.
• Molded ISO/ORC height foredeck toe-rails on foredeck.
• Large self-draining cockpit with wrap-around seating and angled backrests.
• Two large cockpit seat storage lockers.
• Swim platform with transom boarding access and optional fold-up swim ladder.
• Molded, structural transverse keel support beams.
• 4.9’ draft low VCG lead keel bonded and bolted to keel sump. Option for 3.9’ draft keel.
• High aspect, balanced spade rudder mounted in self-aligning, low friction rudder bearings.
• Custom laminated, curved tiller.
• Adjustable tiller extension.
• One AGM Group 27 battery.
• 12V DC On/Off battery switch.
• 12V DC electrical distribution panel w/ 4 circuit breakers.
• LED navigation lights.
• UL approved stranded, tinned copper ABYC color-coded wiring.
• Bonding system to meet ABYC regulations.
• Two swiveling LED reading lights in main cabin.
• Two red/white dome lights.
• Automatic electric bilge pump and panel switch for manual operation.
• SS fabricated chainplates for shrouds.
• Foredeck skylight hatch mounted on cabin house forward of mast.
• Two opening portlights on cabin house sides.
• Companionway opening with molded seahood and slider.
• Acrylic offshore removable dropboard with inside/outside lockable hasp.
• Two 2-Speed 35:1 self-tailing winches on cabin top.
• Two 10″ lock-in winch handles with winch handle pockets.
• Two fixed jib tracks on cabin top with plunger-style jib cars. Option for self-tacking jib system.
• 5:1 Mainsheet system leading to boom-mounted ratchet block/cam near the tiller.
• Adjustable backstay system with control lines led to the cockpit.
• Jib furling system with control line led to cockpit.
• Halyard lead blocks mounted at mast base, halyard organizers and double rope clutches one per side.
• Stainless bow rail, stanchions and stern rails with single 20” height lifeline, starboard boarding gate and transom gate.
• Foredeck and transom mooring cleats (4).
• Cockpit operated manual bilge pump operable from the helm.
Spars & Rigging
• Tapered, fractional, keel-stepped aluminum mast with single sweptback spreaders attached with stainless thru-bar.
Mast includes halyard sheaves, fittings for boom and boom vang attachments, masthead crane, shroud termination
points and a steaming light. Spars finished in white.
• Boom with 8:1 outhaul, mainsheet attachment points, sheaves for the outhaul and reef line, and lazy jack terminations.
• Standing rigging: 1×19 wire forestay & side rigging with adjustable open-body turnbuckles. Soft Dyneema backstay.
• Running rigging package including main and jib halyards, main and jib sheets, reef line, furler line, lazy jacks. Optional
• Main cabin with full length settee berth and removable backrest to port, double seat to starboard, storage
compartments outboard and below the berth/seats.
• Choice of Sunbrella fabrics for 3″ standard main salon cushions.
• Teak and holly synthetic high-wear cabin sole in main cabin with centerline access to bilge.
• 48 Quart Igloo cooler.
• Angled companionway steps with nonskid treads.
• Molded V-berth supports (Option for V-berth platform & cushions).
• Head platform with Raritan PH-II WC, TP holder, holding tank and deck pump out fitting.
• Centerline storage aft of companionway (or engine compartment and systems w/inboard engine option).
• Air-dry gelcoat finish on interior hull & deck surfaces.
• Two-tone deck.
• Additional Opening portlights (2) on aft face of cabin.
• Self-tacking jib system with athwartships track with jib sheet led aft to cockpit.
• Asymmetric Spinnaker gear package – fixed carbon bowsprit with tack line, spinnaker sheets, halyard, and turning
blocks to lead the sheet tails to the cabin top winches.
• 110V 30amp Shore Power system with shore cord and AC panel one interior 110V outlet & battery charger.
• V-Berth package with platform, two cushions and two swiveling reading lights.
• Adjustable outboard bracket mounted centerline.
• Electric inboard engine with pod-drive and cockpit operated controller.
• Inboard diesel engine (Yanmar 2YM15) with Saildrive and two-blade folding prop.
• Flexiteek synthetic cockpit floor and swim platform surfaces.
• Retractable/folding swim ladder.
• Comfort Group – mainsail cover and tiller cover in matching Sunbrella, and 2” cockpit cushions in white vinyl.
• Cockpit dodger with side curtains.